• You cannot reply to this topic

Walk down memory lane SANGEET KA SAFAR

#1 User is offline   surhall 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:old is gold days

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

PLEAS NOTE THIS PICTURE NOT GIVE ANY PAPER & NET.

NAMSAKAR.
SANGEET KA SAFAR HAVE TODAY THIS DAY VERY HAPPY
NEWS ABOUT SINGER SHAMSHAD BEGUM WERE IS NOW
I FIND NEWS ONE OF MY FREND MR CHANDER KANT JI HOW WRITE
BOOK ON HER LIFE & SING . THIS BOOK COMING MONTH OF
AUG. 2007 ON BIG WAY. SOON GET SOME RARE SONG 1935-38
NON FILM SONG .

Walk down memory lane

Eminent singer Shamshad Begum and her family share their experiences of independent India with Mulund-Powai Plus this Independence Day

Her songs scorched the charts in her days of yore and the modern day remixes have brought her original chartbusters back to focus. Shamshad Begum, who is now a resident of Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, recalls her days of patriotism during the Independence movement.

When Shamshad Begum moved to Mumbai from Lahore, India was still undivided. On the persuasion and invitation of the famous film producer Mehboob Khan, Shamshad came to Mumbai to sing in Bollywood as her musical talent had achieved numerous hits back in Lahore. Her very first film was Takdeer which starred Nargis Dutt and then there was no going back home for this songstress and playback singing became her life here in Mumbai even before Independence!

And Shamshad Begum’s musical offerings like Meri neendon mein tum from Naya Andaz, Leke pehla pehla pyaar from CID, Aana meri jaan, meri jaan sunday ke sunday from Shehnai, Mere piya gaye Rangoon from Patanga, Ek tera sahara from Shama, Naina bhar aye neer from Humayun also tell another story about the nation and its people!

Though she came to India in 1942, she says that she never really saw the actual terror of the days of separation though she recalls the feverish pitch with which August 15 was celebrated as Independence Day in honour of India’s new-found freedom. "Where the unity and peace has gone now. I am disturbed by the fighting and uproar going on. I pray to the almighty that peace prevails everywhere. The spirit of Independence must not die. All religions must unite. No one should separate us. We have to be strong like we were when we had first found our freedom. We must learn to respect each other’s religion and maintain the peace," she says.

Her daughter, Usha Ratra, who has seen a more modern India as compared to her mother and has grown in a different environment as the second generation after independence adds, "Freedom in the real sense means independence of the mind. Just because one fine day we were told that our nation is independent, we all sat up to celebrate Independence Day, but are we really free? It takes years to free one’s mind and to be really free in every sense of the word.”

"We are all part of free India. We all have an important role to play. We must only realise that we can help our country instead of just critising it," she asserts.

For Yograj Ratra, Shamshad Begum’s son-in-law, Independence Day brings back memories of some trying times. He was only 15 when his family had to leave Pakistan and flee only to be refugees in one’s own country. "I was born in 1932 in Pakistan. I was only fifteen when we were told of the partition and had to leave suddenly. To be uprooted all of a sudden was not at all easy. We first came to Nainital and then to Delhi," recalls Ratra.

"Today’s youth will never understand the worth of freedom and the struggle involved with it. I have lived through it, not knowing when the struggle would come to an end, “ he says.

“If any student reads his history well, he will know that independence was so dear and hard to get. Its glimpses can only be seen in a tiny way in today’s films and books. The youth should learn more about the movement for independence and work towards a better future,” opines Ratra.
A true reminder and a message of peace from veterans who have seen the struggle as well as the glory of independent India!

http://www.4shared.com/file/16398806/57c07..._BEGUM_BIG.html

AAP KO MERA SALAM & DUA KARTA HOON LONG LIFE KI
DHALL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users